Scorpions In Southern California
Yes we have them, are they dangerous, well that depends on your reaction to the venum. Everyone has their tolerance to insect stings and bites. But for the most part, the "average" adult would not likely suffer much more than the pain of the sting. The best treatment is prevention since scorpions are easily distinguished by their crablike appearance, pair of pincers, four pairs of legs, and long, segmented tail ending with an enlarged segment bearing a stinger. There is about 70 species found in North America, only one, the bark scorpion, Centruroides exilicauda is considered dangerous to people.
Should an indivdual receive a sting from a Bark Scorpion can be serious, producing severe pain and swelling at the site of the sting, numbness, frothing at the mouth, difficulty breathing, respiratory paralysis, muscle twitching, and convulsions. These symptoms are signs that you would want to go to an emergency room as soon as you are able to go. Best to have someone else drive you when at all possible.
Scorpions are night feeders, so your average person isn't going to see them out and about during the day time. But you will see them in a garage or in areas where beetles, cockroaches, crickets, and moths are are found in large populations. They grow slow generally and can take 1-6 years to reach maturity. They can live an average of 3-5 years, but some species can live as long as 10 to 15 years.
To prevent stinging encounters with scorpions, don't leave shoes, boots, shirts, or wet towels outdoors where they can hide. Best to shake towels and cloths before bringing in. Wear gloves when working in the yard. Modification of the outdoors is far more effective than pesticides when dealing with scorpions. I've put together a short list of things that can help reduce the likelyhood of having issues with these pest.
- Clean the yard by removing all trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks, and other objects from around the foundation
- Prune overhanging tree branches away from the house, becausethey can provide a path to the roof for scorpions
- Don't store firewood inside the house. bring in only wood to be directly placed in the fireplace and burn immediatly.
- Install weatherstripping around loose-fitting doors and windows
- caulk around roof eaves, pipes, and any other crack that allow entrance into the home
- Make sure window screens fit tightly in the window frame, and keep the screens in good repair.
Pesticides aren't always effective against scorpions, because they hide in cracks and crevices, under bark and landscape during the daylight hours. Adult scorpions are more difficult to kill with pesticides because of their larger body size and thicker cuticle. Always best to call a professional.
We would be happy to handle this and any other pest issue you may have. Below I have included more homeowner tips that you can download.