With over 10 million species of insects in the world, I can't think of a more nasty and filthy one than the common fly. Flies have plagued man since the beginning of time and have taken his blood, contaminated his food, transmitted his diseases, generally annoyed him, and disturbed his peace. Flies are the fourth largest order of insects, totaling more than 110,000 species. Although they serve a vital function in nature such as contributors to the decomposition of animal carcasses.
As a home owner there are a number of things you can do to get rid of flies naturally in and around the house.
- Keep trash cans clean and covered
- Pick up any fallen fruit from trees
- Clean up often after your pets
- Be aware of Mercry Vapor light placement (attract flying insects)
- Place bug zappers AWAY from the area you want a fly free zone
- Inspect all window screen for proper fit and screen condition
- Keep doors and windows closed
- Don't leave food out
- Keep trash cans clean and use plastic liners when possible
- Keep sink and garbage disposal clean
- Fly traps, such as Toss-and-Pitch type bags are easy and effective
- Sticky traps
- Box fans in areas that you want fly free (Lesser House fly can be a common problem in dead, cool air space)
If you would like more Homeowner Tips here is a bit more information to help with all pest issues in and around the house. If you have a specific issue we can help, just click below.